Saturday, August 30, 2008

Realio trulio little read Rollyo

One slightly awkward thing about Wikipedia is its search engine. If there's no redirect manually set up to compensate for capitalisations, for example, then you can miss out. Hence Rollywik - my search engine just for Wikipedia. However, as with my experience with making something similar to rollys, a swicki, I found it a bit finicky. But if a librarian were to set one up for me..

In passing I note Jimmy Wales is trying to create a wiki-built search engine, WikiaSearch. Not sure if this will benefit Wikipedia directly. Nor even if he'll have much luck bettering Google either - wouldn't relying on the crowd be just a manualised form of the awesome PageRank algorithm? Hope he succeeds, G seriously needs the competition.

No comments: