Thursday, July 31, 2008

Global village idiot

Piclens presents images in a nifty 3D gallery, but it's Flickrvision that really impresses me because of the eerie way it suggests a brain. A big brain. A big ceaseless brain. Neural activity going.. elliptically? epileptically? Like a butterfly dreaming. A big butterfly. A big ceaseless butterfly with a camera.

None of this is done in realtime - yet. At the moment Flickrvision picks up images only when people get home and upload them. However its not too unfeasible to imagine them being uploaded as they're taken. More like Twittervision.

With sensors uploading data into the ether there's all sorts of possibilities for the visual display of information, as in GoogleEarth.

3 comments:

QuizzyLizzy said...

Loved flickrvision, but did not like twittervision! Have you seen the WorldWide Telescope? I downloaded it to see what it was all about. They seem to be promoting it for students, but it's great fun.

SoAndSo said...

WWT, looks like Encarta on steriods. I'd really like to have a play but my laptop couldnt handle it - requires 1GB of RAM, and at least 1GB of hard drive space - neither of which i have. Perfect thing for NSL Learning Centres though. Wonder how it compares to GoogleSky.

Why did you so not like twittervision?

QuizzyLizzy said...

I checked out GoogleSky ages ago. I think I should give it another browse.

As for Twitter, I twittered and it did not appear! Very disappointing. Obviously just selects random twitters and ignores the important ones.